Railway Vehicle Preservations
One of three basically identical carriages in our collection (see also 24080 and 24278) these were the last type of wooden bodied vehicle to see service on Britain's main line railways, the final one (9135 - now in the National Collection) not being withdrawn until 1977. 9124 was built as number 24280 at York in 1937, one of a batch built with electric cooking facilities. It continued in this form until 1958, when a shortage of more modern buffet cars saw it rebuilt with propane cooking for (unusually) use on the Southern region. This ensured it survival, being repainted blue/grey and remaining in service until 1975.
Brought straight out of service by the newly established Great Central Railway it continued in use until its poor condition forced retirement in 1981. Then stored for several years it received cosmetic attention for a filming contract in 1986, before returning to store for a further 5 years.
In 1991 it was acquired by an RVP member who immediately set about completely rebuilding it. As we have two other vehicles of this type the decision was made to return 9124 to its post 1958 condition and it was outshopped in maroon livery in 1995. Since then it has operated regularly in GCR trains (the only wooden bodied passenger coach in regular use on the railway). It received an overhaul and repaint in late 2003, and returned to service on 14th February carrying blood and custard livery; the only serviceable LNER carriage in preservation to do so.
As it forms a key part of the GCR's service trains its private owner sold it to the GCR's supporting charity in 2005 to ensure its long term use; nevertheless it remains in daily service on the Great Central.